Unfortunately we can only accept online applications for up to 8 people. For moves involving more than 8 people please apply at a Post Office® or via post using the form in the Apply and Buy section.
For your security, to apply online your payment card must be registered to your old address. If not, you can submit your application by post or via a Post Office® branch - download the form from the Apply and Buy section below, or pick one up in branch.
Redirection applications on behalf of the deceased or for people for whom you have Power of Attorney can not be submitted online. These applications must be made via post or in branch at the Post Office® with appropriate authority and documentation – please see the Special Circumstances Application Form.
An official Royal Mail Redirection can only be obtained online via royalmail.com/redirection. Royal Mail is aware of fraudulent websites which claim to offer the Royal Mail Redirection service. Such sites are in no way connected to Royal Mail and we are working with the police and other organisations to have these sites taken down.
- The names and dates of birth of everyone who needs their mail redirecting.
- The full address and postcode of your old and new addresses.
- To give at least 5 working days’ notice of the date you want your Redirection to start.
- A valid credit or debit card.
Note: For moves involving more than 8 people apply at the Post Office or via post using the form you can download from the Apply and Buy section.
Keeping your identity safe
The National Fraud Authority recommends that to reduce the risk of identity fraud when you move, you use Royal Mail's Redirection service to redirect your mail from your old address to your new one for at least a year. Learn more about preventing identity theft.
Apply for a Redirection early
We need at least five working days to set up your Redirection. If possible, apply at least three weeks before you move.
Get your details right
Make sure you tell us the different last names you want covered by the Redirection. If you don’t, the mail addressed to those people won’t be redirected.
Be aware of timings
When your mail is redirected, it will be sent to the delivery office that serves your old address first. From there, it will be forwarded using our 1st Class Mail service to your new address or, using International Standard if you are moving to an address outside the UK. Please be aware this will add at least an extra day to the journey of your mail.
Renewing your Redirection
We’ll contact you before your Redirection expires. You can renew for 3, 6 or 12 months. For mail redirected from a PO Box®, the maximum period is six months.
Laws and restrictions prevent us from redirecting certain items to addresses both within and outside of the UK. Find out more about restrictions.
Redirections prices Length of RedirectionPrice per last name
*Prices are exempt from VAT
**Prices are zero rated for VAT
***Prices include VAT
Within the UK* 0 - 3 months£24.99 3 - 6 months£34.99 6 - 12 months£54.99 Overseas Address (International Standard Non-EU)** 0 - 3 months£89.99 3 - 6 months£129.99 6 - 12 months£189.99 Overseas Address (International Standard EU)*** 0 - 3 months£107.99 3 - 6 months£155.99 6 - 12 months£227.99
The fastest way to apply is online. Start here.
Apply by post
You can also apply by post.
2. Collect proof of identity documents. Please include original documents that show the address you are moving from. We can’t accept photocopies and will return originals to you. If everyone applying shares the same last name we only need to see identification from the person sending the application. Send identification for each person with a different last name. You can choose from one of the following:
- two different utility bills from the last three months (not a mobile phone or store/ charge card statement, bills printed from the internet are not valid)
- a bank/building society statement from the last three months
- a credit card statement from the last three months.
3. How to pay - we only accept payment by cheque payable to Royal Mail Group Ltd. You must send a separate cheque in the name of each different last name.
4. Post your completed application form, proof of identity and cheque(s) for the Redirection service you require to:
Royal Mail Redirection Centre
PO Box 944
STOKE ON TRENT
For your security we will send an acknowledgement letter to your old address to confirm you have set up a Redirection.
At your Post Office®
You can also apply and buy at your nearest Post Office® by following a few easy steps:
1. Download, print, and complete the application form or pick up an application form at your local Post Office®. If you need some guidance, take a look at our completion guide.
2. Collect proof of identity documents. You’ll need two forms of proof of identity that show the address you’re moving from. These must be originals, photocopies are not accepted. If you are providing bills and statements as ID they must be dated within the last three months. If everyone applying shares the same last name, we only need ID in the name of the person applying at the Post Office® branch. If not, you’ll need two different forms of original identification - not photocopies - for each different last name on the form, one from List A and one from List B.
Proof of name
Proof of address
Please choose one of the following Please choose one of the following Cheque guarantee, debit or credit card Two different utility bills from the last 3 months (please do not bring mobile phone or a store/charge card statement. Bills printed from the Internet are not valid) Driving Licence - Photocard and paper Counterpart D740 Council tax payment book Passport Recent bank, building society, or credit union statement or passbook (no older than 3 months) Bank or building society book Original mortgage statement EU member state identity card Credit card statement
3. Take your application form, proof of identity documents and payment to your nearest Post Office®.
For your security, we will send an acknowledgement letter to your old address to confirm you have set up a redirection.
- How do I change the details of my Redirection?
- How can I cancel my Redirection?
- What happens if I need to relocate again within the Redirection period?
- I have a PO Box®. Can I still redirect mail to my new address?
- Can I have my mail redirected to a British Forces Post Office® (BFPO) address?
- Can I have mail redirected from another country to my address in the UK?
- Is there any mail you can't redirect?
- I hold power of attorney for somebody. Can I apply on their behalf?
- There has been a death and I need to arrange a Redirection of their mail, what do I need to do?
- I think you’ve got my address wrong, it doesn’t look right, are you sure it’s correct?
- What happens when my Redirection runs out?
- How long does it take to arrange a redirection?
- Can I have mail redirected to an address outside of the UK?
- What age restriction is there on Redirections?
- When will my redirected mail arrive?
- Will you redirect mail sent to me by Special Delivery™, Recorded Signed For™ and Royal Mail Tracked®?
- What do I do if there is a problem with my Redirection?
Search help for more answers...
How do I change the details of my Redirection?
- If you wish to make a minor change such as a spelling correction, or to notify us of a flat number that isn’t listed on our Postcode Finder please call us on 08457 777 888, or if you’re outside the UK, call +44 1782 668 007. Alternatively, you can submit your request in writing to the address below. Please allow five working days for the change to take place.
- If you wish to change your new address and the Redirection hasn’t started, let us know as soon as possible before it starts, in writing, to the address below. We will also need each person included in the application to provide their signature again to give their consent.
If you wish to change your new address and the Redirection has already started, let us know as soon as possible, in writing, to the address below. We will need to cancel the current Redirection and you will need to pay for a new one for which we will need each person to provide their signature again to give their consent.
Royal Mail Redirection Centre
PO Box 944
How can I cancel my Redirection?
If you have arranged your Redirection online and want to cancel the agreement, you can do so by forwarding your confirmation email to email@example.com from the e-mail account you used when making your application.
This process allows us to confirm that the request for cancellation is genuine and has not been made by another party. If a refund is due under our Terms and Conditions, then this will be made by reversing your online transaction after the agreement is cancelled.
Should you no longer have access to the original e-mail account, or have arranged your application at Post Office®, via post, or on our Helpline, your request needs to be made in writing to:
Royal Mail Redirection Centre
PO Box 944
How long does it take?
It takes up to 5 days for your cancellation to come into effect after we’ve received the request by post or email.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to raise any other queries about the Redirection service.Back to top
What happens if I need to relocate again within the Redirection period?
You will need to cancel your initial Redirection - from address ‘A’ to address ‘B’. Then set up a new Redirection from address ‘B’ to address ‘C’. You will also need another Redirection from address ‘A’ to address ‘C’. No refund on your original Redirection will be offered. Contact us on 08457 777 888 for advice on your Redirection.Back to top
I have a PO Box®. Can I still redirect mail to my new address?
You can redirect mail from a PO Box® for a maximum of six months and the PO Box® must remain open during the period of the Redirection. You can redirect mail to a PO Box® for a maximum of two years.Back to top
Can I have my mail redirected to a British Forces Post Office® (BFPO) address?
Yes you can. A Redirection to a BFPO address can only be taken out using a manual form (at the Post Office or by Post) or by phone (for an enhanced fee). We can’t redirect mail from a BFPO address.Back to top
Can I have mail redirected from another country to my address in the UK?
No, you will need to contact the postal authority for that country. Please note different countries offer different mail redirecting services with different terms and conditions.Back to top
Is there any mail you can't redirect?
We can’t redirect:
- mail for people who were not occupying the old address
- personal mail from a business address
- Parcelforce Worldwide products and mail from carriers Royal Mail doesn’t deliver.
- mail from a boarding house, hotel, college or other multi-occupied premises. However, we can redirect mail to these properties
- mail from a British Forces Post Office® (BFPO) address
- items to addresses outside the UK that are larger than letter size or clearly contain goods
- Special Delivery Guaranteed™, Royal Mail Signed For™ and Royal Mail Tracked 24™ and 48 items to an address outside the UK
- Royal Mail Tracked 24™ and 48 restricted goods in the UK
- any mail where laws prohibit us to redirect mail. For example we may be instructed by law to notify the authorities of Redirection requests for mail relating to government benefits.
I hold power of attorney for somebody. Can I apply on their behalf?
This is possible although applications can only be made at a Post Office® branch or by post. Click here for the Special Circumstances Application Form.Back to top
There has been a death and I need to arrange a Redirection of their mail, what do I need to do?
We understand this is a difficult time for you. You can apply for a Redirection for the deceased using the Special Circumstances Application Form. Applications must be made at a Post Office® or by post. Find your nearest Post Office®. If you need help please call us on 08457 777 888 or textphone 0845 600 0606. If you’re calling from outside the UK please dial +44 1782 668 007.Back to top
I think you’ve got my address wrong, it doesn’t look right, are you sure it’s correct?
This is the address that Royal Mail uses to deliver your mail. It may not include some elements of the address you normally use such as house name, village or county name. You can check your address and postcode online by using our Postcode Finder. If you believe we have key information wrong, please contact us as soon as possible on 08457 777 888. If you're calling from outside the UK, call +44 1782 668 007.Back to top
What happens when my Redirection runs out?
Before your Redirection is due to end, we’ll send you a letter asking if you would like to renew your Redirection. If you do, please let us know as soon as possible to avoid any mail going to your old address. The quickest way to do this is online; the letter we send you will contain a unique Renewal code number for you to do this securely.
Alternatively, we’ll give you a phone number to call. You can also renew by post. You cannot renew at a Post Office® branch.
If you don’t wish to renew simply don’t respond to the invitation. When your Redirection ends any mail addressed to your old address will be delivered there.Back to top
How long does it take to arrange a redirection?
Apply as soon as possible; we need at least 5 working days (Mon - Fri) to arrange your Redirection. If you can, apply 3 weeks before you move. You can apply for your Redirection up to 3 months prior to your actual moving date.Back to top
Can I have mail redirected to an address outside of the UK?
Yes, you can redirect mail from a UK address to your new address overseas. All mail will be forwarded via International Standard. Unfortunately, we cannot redirect mail from another country to a UK address. Please refer to the Postal Authority for that country if this is what you need. Please note different countries offer different mail redirecting services with different terms and conditions.Back to top
What age restriction is there on Redirections?
You must be 18 years of age to apply for a Redirection. However, there is no age restriction on those who can be included as additional applicants.Back to top
When will my redirected mail arrive?
Your mail will travel to the Royal Mail local Delivery Office that serves your old address first. They will then forward your mail to your new address. This adds at least an extra day onto the journey of your mail. Mail is redirected using our 1st Class service, or International Standard if your new address is outside of the UK.Back to top
Will you redirect mail sent to me by Special Delivery™, Recorded Signed For™ and Royal Mail Tracked®?
Yes, to UK addresses only. If your new address is outside of the UK, items sent using these services will be returned to the sender. The Special Delivery Guaranteed™ next day guarantee will not be valid for redirected mail as it first needs to travel to the Royal Mail Delivery Office which serves your old address. We will still obtain a signature, or confirmation scan, on delivery where relevant when delivering to your new address.
We are unable to redirect Royal Mail Tracked 24™ and 48 restricted goods.Back to top
What do I do if there is a problem with my Redirection?
Visit our Help & Support page for any problems you may be experiencing with your Redirection.Back to top
Renewing a Redirection?
If we have sent you a letter about renewing your Redirection, you can get started by registering or logging into your Royal Mail account below. You’ll need the renewal code and unique PIN code stated in the letter.
Search our help centre
Enter your keyword(s) below to search our Help Centre.