Royal Mail: best for large-scale export
With our global network of delivery partners, we’re always developing pipelines to handle international packages efficiently – however much you’re sending. One way we eliminate delays is by sharing electronic ‘pre-advice’ customs data so large shipments can be fast-tracked in their destination country.
See below how we created a bespoke solution for a large online fashion retailer. They asked us to make shipping to the USA easier and quicker and – together with our local partner USPS – we delivered.
Useful tools and ways to pay
Our customer journey has improved for 80% of all orders
Case study: Streamlining export to the USA
A leading UK-based online fashion retailer came to us with a challenge. They wanted to grow their international presence and move towards being the global leader in their field – starting by improving the experience for their shoppers in the USA. This is a hugely important market for them, and they came to Royal Mail because of our strong relationship with USPS and other global partners.
- Delivery within 6 days to 95% of the USA
- A better overall customer experience
- Reduce call centre costs
- Royal Mail reviewed the entire pipeline and adjusted for efficiency
- Tracked and Signed service used for speed and security
- ‘Pre-advice’ electronic customs data is now passed from Royal Mail to USPS before packages arrive in the US
- Labels re-designed to satisfy fast-track requirements on both sides
- Fast processing by USPS at airport hubs (JFK, ORD and SFO and LAX)
- Improved customer journey for 80% of all orders
- Lowered loss rates by using Tracked and Signed services
- 3-5% reduction in complaint calls to Customer Services
- Clearer labels resulted in a 5% improvement in delivery scan
Streamline your exporting now
Customs and Brexit
On 24 December 2020, the UK and the EU reached an agreement on how to trade (the Trade and Cooperation Agreement). It entered into force on 1 January 2021. As a result of the agreement, the UK is no longer part of the EU’s single market and customs union and new rules apply.
From 1 January 2021, the UK has extended the rules which applied to non-EU postal items before. Similarly, the EU now treats postal items from the UK as it did non-EU items before. This means there may be changes to how you send and receive items from abroad.
For more information on how sending and receiving items to the EU may be impacted from 1 January 2021, please click here.
Electronic Customs Pre-advice Data
It is now mandatory to provide electronic customs pre-advice data and an S10 barcode when you ship abroad.
Advantages of providing electronic customs data:
- Avoid delays and/or penalty charges
- Easier and quicker experience for recipients
- Access to enhanced delivery features such as notifications
Use one of our data-compliant shipping platforms – Click & Drop, Pro Shipping or API shipping – to automate this process and take the stress out of electronic customs.
*Heathrow Worldwide Distribution Centre
**If the UK leaves the EU with 'No Deal', items destined for the EU will be treated the same as items bound for non-EU destinations