Changes to Surcharges for parcels customers
We want to make sure we can process your parcels as quickly and as efficiently as possible. If there are errors in the way parcels are presented to us, it costs us more to handle and we need to either correct your Sales Order or raise an adjustment charge.
- From 2 January 2020, Royal Mail will apply clearer Surcharge rates and introduce standard rework fees across our network. Our terms and conditions and supporting user guides will also be updated with clearer detail about how parcels should be presented to us in order to enable efficient processing and delivery.
- If parcels handed to us differ from what is stated on the Sales Order, we will correct the Sales Order to reflect what was given and apply an admin charge for any adjustments.
- If we find errors in the way parcels have been presented to us we will apply adjustment charges.
- Charges are detailed as per the table below.
- We will communicate any changes 30 days in advance, via this page.
|Adjustment Charge||Fee||Charging basis|
|Flat Fee per incorrect Sales Order and or Manifest||£27.95||If items differ from what is stated on the Sales Order we will apply an admin fee per Sales Order for any adjustments we’ve made.|
|Sales Order Under Declared||£1.30||If more items are handed over than declared on the Sales Order we will charge you a flat fee per item.|
|Barcode cannot be read or missing||20p||If we can’t read and/ or scan the barcode printed on your items or it’s missing, we will charge a fee per item.|
|Incorrect labels and or bag ties||20p||If incorrect bag labels or bag ties have been used, we will charge you a fee for each incorrect label or tie.|
|Incorrect cage cards||25p||If an incorrect cage card has been used a fee for each incorrect cage card will be applied.|
|Customer collects York and or bag from Royal Mail||£3||If mail needs to be collected due to presentation issues, we will charge a fee for every York and, or bag collected.|
|Storage costs for Royal Mail to retain Yorks awaiting collection||£5.00||If items need collecting due to incorrect presentation, we will charge a fee per York and cage for each day we have to store the items.|
|Overweight bags or trays||65p||If overweight bags or trays are given to us, we will charge you a fee per bag or tray.|
|Overweight Cages and or Yorks||65p||If overweight cages or Yorks, are presented to us, we will charge you a fee per cage and York.|
|Return York or Bag to customer by Royal Mail||£25||If we need to return your items due to incorrect presentation, we will charge a fee per York that we need to return.|
From 15th November 2019, Royal Mail will be increasing the International Surcharge from 3% to 6.5% for the services below.
- International Business Tracked
- International Business Tracked & Signed
- International Business Signed
- International Business Mail
- International Business Parcels
- International Business Parcels Returns
- International Business Mail Response services - Local Look options
From 28 January 2019, Royal Mail will be increasing the fuel surcharge from 3% to 4% for the services below.
- Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed by 9am®
- Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed by 1pm®
- Royal Mail Tracked 24®, Royal Mail Tracked 48®
- Royal Mail 24®, Royal Mail 48®
- Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed Returns®
- Royal Mail Tracked Returns
Royal Mail has applied a fuel surcharge for contract parcel products since 2nd April 2013.
The application of a fuel surcharge is established practice in the parcels delivery market. Prior to April 2013 Royal Mail included these costs into the overall parcel price. This change brought Royal Mail in line with other parcel delivery companies who already apply a fuel surcharge.
Fuel surcharge is applied on the product price after any discounts or commissions, and before VAT. We have kept this surcharge considerably lower than other delivery companies.
Fuel surcharge is applicable to Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed by 9am, Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed by 1pm, Royal Mail Tracked 24, Royal Mail Tracked 48, Royal Mail 24, Royal Mail 48, Special Delivery Guaranteed Returns, Royal Mail Tracked Returns and Mail Order Returns.
We will communicate any fuel surcharge rate changes 30 days in advance, via this page.
Fuel surcharges will not apply to non-contract business and consumer parcel services.
Surcharge on international services*
Royal Mail introduced an International surcharge on 3rd January 2017 in order to help us respond to the impact of the volatile currency market on key cost areas for our business; fuel, conveyancing and International delivery charges. A flexible International surcharge enables us to keep prices as low as possible while enabling us to react to future currency and fuel related cost changes.
An International surcharge of 6.5% is applied to the product price after any discounts or commissions and before any applicable VAT.
The International surcharge applies to the following International services; International Business Tracked, International Business Tracked & Signed, International Business Signed, International Business Mail, International Business Parcels, International Business Parcels Returns, International Business Mail Response services - Local Look options.
We will communicate any International surcharge rate with no less than 14 days in advance, via this page. International surcharges do not apply to International non-contract business and consumer services.
*Royal Mail Specific Terms and Conditions for International Business Services (pdf, 179.12 KB).
Royal Mail Tracked
For Royal Mail Tracked 24 and Tracked 48™ customers accessing the network through Regional Distribution Centres (generally those sending in excess of 300,000 items per year), items over 31.5 litres will be subject to a surcharge of £7.50 per item.
Royal Mail Tracked 24 and Tracked 48™ Letterboxable account customers sending items weighing more than 1kg, exceeding the dimensions 353mm x 250mm x 25mm will be subject to a surcharge of £1.00 per item. If you send an item that is both oversize and overweight you will be surcharged £1 for the overweight element and £1 for being oversize element making it £2 in total.
Returns to sender
Where items are returned to sender for the below reasons, your items will be scanned and you will be charged at your agreed contract rate.
- Undeliverable items are not collected nor a redelivery arranged within the 18 day holding period
- Incorrect/incomplete address
- Recipient moved (gone away)
- Recipient refused