HM Forces Mail
HM Forces Mail
The British Forces Post Office® (BFPO) offers discounted mail delivery. There’s no charge for Forces Airletters (Blueys) sent to personnel on operational duty. When you want to stay in touch, you can send items weighing up to 2kg using:
- HM Forces Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed (please note that with BFPO mail we are unable to guarantee delivery time)
- HM Forces Royal Mail 1st Class Signed For
- HM Forces Royal Mail 1st Class
Sending letters to HM Forces is straightforward, but here’s a few guidelines:
- don’t write the destination country on the BFPO address
- seal the edges of large letters and packages with adhesive tape
- don’t use an AIR MAIL sticker
Find out more about how to address BFPO mail on the GOV website
To use HM Forces Mail you'll need to go to the Post Office®
Ways to send HM Forces Mail
Sending HM Forces Special Delivery Guaranteed
If you're sending something valuable, use HM Forces Special Delivery Guaranteed. This service is only for BFPO numbered addresses and gives you:
- a signature on delivery (available from BFPO on request)
- compensation for loss or damage
- pre-paid envelope for jewellery or valuables available at Post Office
HM Forces Royal Mail Signed For
The ideal solution when:
- You want a signature on delivery (available from BFPO on request)
- For sending items valued up to £50
Forces Free Air Letters (FFALS) for Forces personnel on operational duty
Otherwise known as ‘Blueys’,these are regulated by the Ministry of Defence and can change. You can:
- Get them in the Post Office
- Send to Forces personnel on operational duty
Important information about HM Forces Mail
One surface at least 90mm x 140mm.
The maximum size for Small Parcels is:
As with UK domestic mail, BFPO prices reflect our current rates, so prices will depend on whether you are sending a letter, large letter or parcel.
We have a list of prohibited and restricted goods that you cannot send.
Countries overseas also have their own rules on what they will and will not allow to be sent by post. Please check that you are able to send your item.
All parcels going to BFPO destinations must have a signed customer declaration attached to the outside of the parcel. Read our Customs information.
HM Customs and Excise pays close attention to all HM Forces Mail arriving in or leaving the UK. It’s important to fill in and sign the declaration on Customs label CN22 or CN23. Local customs authorities at overseas bases also have the right to examine mail addressed to HM Forces. They may make charges under local regulations. For more about this, read our Customs information or ask at your local Post Office® branch.