Find the right price for your mail and print postage from your computer.
Letters up to 100g (outside Europe only) Weight Price 20g 78p 60g £1.33 100g £1.88
*Letters can only be sent by Surface Mail to destinations outside of Europe
Prices in this table are exempt from VAT.
Small Parcels up to 100g Weight up to Price 100g £2.60
Prices in this table are exempt from VAT
Letters, Small Parcels and Printed Papers over 100g (letters outside of Europe only) Weight Price 250g £3.25 500g £4.85 750g £6.45 1kg £8.05 1.25kg £9.65 1.5kg £11.25 1.75kg £12.85 2kg £14.45 Printed Papers only:
Each 250g or part thereof up to 5kg, add
Prices in this table are exempt from VAT.
- The maximum weight for Surface Mail Small Parcels is 2kg.
- The maximum weight for Printed Papers is 5kg.
- The maximum weight for all Surface Mail items to Canada and Cambodia is 2kg.
- Only books up to 5kg can be sent to the Republic of Ireland under our Printed Papers service.
For compensation limits, please visit www.royalmail.com/compensation
You can also get a quote from our Price Finder tool.
Sizes and weights
You can send postcards, letters and small parcels weighing up to 2kg with Surface Mail. It's important to remember that international size dimensions are smaller than those for the UK.
Items in the form of a postcard, letter or parcel
Minimum: One surface at least 90mm x 140mm
No single side must be longer than 600mm.
Items in the form of a roll
Minimum: length plus 2 x diameter should be at least 170mm
No single side can be shorter than 100mm.
There is a weight limit on items of up to 2kg for Small Parcels and up to 5kg for Printed Papers.
You cannot send postcards and letters to Europe by Surface Mail - these must go by Airmail.
You can send books and pamphlets weighing up to 5kg by Surface Mail. You can include a letter relating to the contents, but no other personalised correspondence. When using this service, please write ‘PRINTED PAPERS’ in the top left corner on the front.
- no items over 2kg (including books and pamphlets) can be sent to Canada and Cambodia
- only books can be sent over 2kg to the Irish Republic.
When we deliver
Use Surface Mail to send letters, parcels and printed papers to international destinations outside Europe. For European destinations, you can send only parcelsand printed papers.
- Western Europe takes up to two weeks from date of posting
- Eastern Europe takes up to five weeks
- North America takes up to six weeks
- South America, Africa and Asia takes up to eight weeks
- Australasia takes up to 12 weeks.
It’s important to wrap and pack your mail securely. We have some guidelines that will help. Get advice on packing your item.
Clearly addressing your item will help us deliver it faster. Get advice on international addressing. Don’t forget to write your return address on the back of your envelope or parcel.
Including 'Surface Mail' on your item
Ensure you write 'Surface Mail' on the top-left hand corner of your item.
- EU - In general if you’re posting to an EU country, you don’t need a Customs declaration, but there are a few exceptions. Find out more about paying your customs.
- Rest of the world - if you’re sending parcels to a country outside the EU, you need to sign and date a declaration and include your name and address. Customs forms are available at the Post Office® and online.
- Items worth up to £270 must carry customs declaration CN22. Find out about CN22.
- Items worth over £270 must carry customs declaration CN23 and the SP126 plastic envelope.. Find out about CN23.
Countries overseas also have their own rules on what they will and will not allow to be sent by post. Please check that you are able to send your item.
The postage you pay for Surface Mail includes standard compensation. Learn more about compensation.
If you need to send more valuable items and want the security of a signature, choose International Signed For™.
We don’t pay any compensation on items that are prohibited or restricted in the country of destination.
Search help for more answers...
Is there a faster option?
Yes. Airmail offers a much faster service for not much more expense. It is available worldwide. Find out more about Airmail. The quickest way to send mail overseas is with our Airsure® service. Discover what Airsure® has to offer.Back to top
Can I use the service to send items anywhere in the world?
Yes, but some restrictions do apply. Letters cannot be sent to Europe by Surface Mail - they must be sent by Airmail.Back to top
One small price.
Find out more about our
wide and deep options -
available from only £2.60.
We can bring your mail from your old address to your new address.