Need to get mail out fast? You can buy and print postage from the comfort of your own home or office with this free and easy-to-use service. All you need is a computer and a printer. You'll never run out of stamps again.
- Print your postage and addresses onto envelopes, labels or paper
- Prepay account enables you to buy Online Postage easily
- Use the online address book to store and manage contacts quickly
- No software download required
Print postage online
You can buy and print postage from the comfort of your own home or office with this free and easy-to-use service.
Find the right price for your mail and print postage from your computer.
Buy your postage online and you’ll never run out of stamps again.
Step 1 – Purchase your postage
- Log in or register to use Online Postage
- Choose to print onto envelopes, labels or paper
- Add recipient’s address details or select from your address book
- Use our Price Finder tool to choose the service you need
- Make secure payments online, by using your prepay account or credit/debit card.
Step 2 – Print your postage
- Do a test print to check your printer is loaded correctly
- Print your postage onto envelopes, labels or paper.
Please note: To print your postage, you'll need Acrobat Reader (version 5.0 or higher). Download Acrobat Reader.
Step 3 – Send your mail
- Attach your postage to the item you are sending
- Post your mail by the end of the next working day after purchase
With the Royal Mail Address Book you can manage all your contacts in one place and use them for Online Postage. It’s quick and easy to get started and will save you time entering your recipients’ details manually each time you want to use them.
- free to use
- add and manage your contacts easily by storing up to five addresses per individual or company contact
- import existing contacts into your Address Book in CSV format
- assign addresses to groups if you wish for ease of storage and retrieval.
Don’t worry, we’ll never share any of your data, it stays completely confidential.
Online Postage covers a range of Royal Mail services:
- 1st Class
- 2nd Class
- Royal Mail Signed For™ 1st Class
- Royal Mail Signed For™ 2nd Class
- Special Delivery Guaranteed™
- International Signed For™
- Surface Mail
Terms and Conditions
- Why use Online Postage?
- What do I need to get started?
- Can I use Online Postage from outside the UK?
- Can Online Postage be used as a self-addressed envelope?
- What is a return address and do I have to include one?
- Can I finish off something I started on a previous visit?
- What happens if I don’t use my postage by the ‘Post by’ date?
- What if I need to change my postage details?
- Is there an online address book I can use?
- How can I be sure I’ve entered the correct weight?
- How do I know what format my item is?
- Which browsers can I use?
- How can I suggest improvements to Online Postage?
Search help for more answers...
Why use Online Postage?
You can print postage from home or work and choose from a wide range of Royal Mail services. Great for bulk mailings as you can print more than one item at a time using stored contact details from your Royal Mail Address Book.Back to top
What do I need to get started?
You just need a computer with internet access, a printer, plus an envelope, label or just a piece of paper to print onto. Make payment for purchases less than £2.99 with an online prepay account or for orders over £2.99 with an online prepay account, Master Card, Visa or debit card.Back to top
Can I use Online Postage from outside the UK?
Online Postage is only designed for customers purchasing stamps in the UK and posting items from there.Back to top
Can Online Postage be used as a self-addressed envelope?
Unfortunately Online Postage cannot be used as a self-address envelope, as it expires at the end of the next working day after purchase. The Post By date is a measure to prevent fraudulent use of the stamp.Back to top
What is a return address and do I have to include one?
A return address is where you want the parcel sent back to if it is not delivered. You’re not obliged to include a return address unless you are sending an international item but it’s in your own interest. You should be aware that return addresses will not fit on all print options.Back to top
Can I finish off something I started on a previous visit?
Yes, if you added the item to your basket, it will be displayed in your recent activity. Access this through the Online Postage homepage once you have logged in.Back to top
What happens if I don’t use my postage by the ‘Post by’ date?
The ‘Post by’ date is always the next working day after the day you make your Online Postage purchase. After this, your postage will not be valid and you will need to seek a refund by clicking on the link in the order history screen, which you can access through ‘My Online Postage’.Back to top
For refunds requested after seven days of purchase or for international items, please call Customer Services on 0845 6113425 8.00-5.30pm Mon- Fri.
What if I need to change my postage details?
Your postage details cover all the information you enter in our Price Finder, including the destination category (UK or Overseas) and the various aspects of the service: delivery time, compensation (where applicable), tracking (where applicable), item weight and postage price.Back to top
With Online Postage you can change your details at any time prior to confirming your order.
Is there an online address book I can use?
Yes, the Royal Mail Address Book is free to use. You can store up to 1000 addresses. Find out more about the Royal Mail Address Book.Back to top
How can I be sure I’ve entered the correct weight?
Don’t guess an item’s weight unless it is a postcard or letter that you are sure is under 100g. The only way to be certain is to weigh your item. The Weight Guide below gives indicative weights for many items.
Indicative Weight Guide Letter or greeting card 30g Standard DL envelope with 4 sheets of A4 44g Compact disc in bubble envelope 130g A4 envelope with 20 sheets of A4 160g Mobile phone in bubble envelope 180g DVD in bubble envelope 190g 400 page paperback book in bubble envelope 310g Pair of jeans 500g Glossy magazine in bubble envelope 585g Pair of trainers 1kg
How do I know what format my item is?
The amount you pay depends simply on the size and weight of the item you’re sending.
Don’t pay more than you need to
You might consider folding your A4 document in half to fit into a C5 envelope. This would bring it down to the letter format, as long as it is still less than 5mm thick.
Work out which format your item falls into Format Examples Max weight Max length Max width Max thickness
Greetings cards, personal letters, postcards, bills 100g 240mm 165mm 5mm
A4 documents, certificates, magazines, CD or DVD in case, some large greeting cards with badges 750g 353mm 250mm 25mm
Handbags, clothing, board games 2kg 45cm 35cm 8cm
Shoes, boots, toasters, irons 2kg 35cm 25cm 16cm
Gifts, shoes, heavy or bulky items 20kg 61cm 46cm 46cm
Rolled and cylinder shaped parcels
For rolled and cylinder shaped items, the length of the item plus twice the diameter must not exceed 104cm, with the greatest dimension being no more than 90cm. Rolled and cylinder shaped parcels that measure up to 45cm in length and 8cm in diameter and do not exceed 2kg can be sent as small parcels.
Sending items with any dimension or weight larger than those listed above? Then you’ll need to send those items via Parcelforce Worldwide services where items can measure up to:
- 1.5m in length and 3m length and depth combined
- Weight limit: 30kg
- Large parcels can only be sent via Parcelforce.
Which browsers can I use?
Royal Mail Online postage works with most commonly used browsers for PC and Mac.Back to top
How can I suggest improvements to Online Postage?
If you have any ideas for improving Online Postage, please email them to email@example.com.Back to top
- What if my label or paper size isn't on your list?
- What can I print my postage onto?
- The labels are in PDF format, how do I know if I can print PDF documents?
- I have already used some of the labels on my sheet; can I still print to it?
- How do I know which way my labels go in the printer?
- What happens if my printer jams or if there’s an error?
Search help for more answers...
What if my label or paper size isn't on your list?
We do not currently support custom labels or envelopes. If you are unable to find your make or size, we recommend you print your postage onto A4 paper and stick this onto your item.Back to top
What can I print my postage onto?
You can print your postage on standard label sheets, DL, C6, C5, envelopes or A4 paper. To see all label sizes click on the ‘Easy Start ‘section on the homepage or ‘Edit Print Options’ on the ‘Create Postage’ page.Back to top
The labels are in PDF format, how do I know if I can print PDF documents?
PDF documents can be viewed and printed using Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not have the software, Adobe Acrobat Reader software can be downloaded for free from the Adobe website.Back to top
I have already used some of the labels on my sheet; can I still print to it?
If you have already started using your sheet of labels you can select the label you wish to print onto to avoid waste. Simply click on the label you want to print onto from the ‘Print Options’ page and we’ll print your postage in the position you choose.Back to top
How do I know which way my labels go in the printer?
Every printer is different, so the best way to be sure your labels are loaded the right way is to use the ‘Try a Test Print’ button on the ‘Print Postage’ page.Back to top
What happens if my printer jams or if there’s an error?
If something goes wrong you can apply online for a refund through the ‘Order History’ tab, which you can find under ‘My Online Postage’. For refunds on items purchased more than seven working days ago or for international items please call our customer services team on 0845 611 3425 8:00am-5.30pm Monday-Friday.
Alternatively, email our customer services team for a refund: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following in your email:
- customer name
- email address
- reason for refund
- contact telephone number
- please state whether the refund is for International or UK postage
- OLP order number.
- Why can I not use my selected service options together?
- What other services are there?
- How do I know which service to use?
- I am sending an item that might require additional security. Can I use Online Postage?
- What services work with Online Postage?
- Is there anything I can’t send?
- Can I use Online Postage to send items overseas?
Search help for more answers...
Why can I not use my selected service options together?
Although you can buy and print postage for all Royal Mail products with Online Postage, some services can’t be selected together as they have different posting requirements.Back to top
What other services are there?
- Guaranteed Delivery guarantees your item to be delivered the next day.
- Track & Trace lets you check the status of items you’ve sent.
- Signed For™ and Recorded Signed For™ provides proof of posting and an electronic copy of the signature.
- Additional compensation lets you choose different amounts of compensation depending on the value of your item.
How do I know which service to use?
For help selecting the right service for you, Go to Price Finder.Back to top
I am sending an item that might require additional security. Can I use Online Postage?
There are certain restrictions on the items that we can carry through our national network. Please read these regulations before purchasing any services. As long as the contents of your item are not prohibited by the regulations, then several products have an option of purchasing enhanced compensation, e.g. Special Delivery™ or International Signed For™.Back to top
What services work with Online Postage?
Use Online Postage for the majority of Royal Mail services.
For Parcelforce Services please visit parcelforce.com.Back to top
Is there anything I can’t send?
Some items cannot be sent through the post. Please refer to prohibited goods for more information.Back to top
Can I use Online Postage to send items overseas?
Yes, Online Postage works with Airmail and International services. Pick the country you require in the Price Finder and select from the services available for your destination.Back to top
- Can I check that my item has arrived at its destination?
- Why is the service I’ve selected not suitable for my item?
- How does compensation for loss, damage or delay work?
- I am sending items overseas, do I need to fill out a customs form?
- What is a Certificate of Posting?
- What if my package is too big for the pillar box?
- Do I need to take my parcel to the Post Office®?
Search help for more answers...
Can I check that my item has arrived at its destination?
You can check the status of your delivery with any of our Royal Mail tracked products. For example, if you have purchased Special Delivery™, you or the recipient will then be able to track the item through our network to the point of delivery. For these tracked services a copy of the signature given upon delivery can be viewed online for free too.Back to top
Why is the service I’ve selected not suitable for my item?
The service you select must be appropriate for the destination of your item. For example, if you have selected a UK service this cannot be used for an overseas address.Back to top
How does compensation for loss, damage or delay work?
Items of value should be sent using Special Delivery™ which is a tracked and secure service.Back to top
I am sending items overseas, do I need to fill out a customs form?
You do if you’re sending parcels to a country outside the EU. There are two different forms depending on the value of the items you are sending, which you will need to sign and date. You’ll find the forms on the confirmation page when you buy Online Postage.Back to top
What is a Certificate of Posting?
A Certificate of Posting is your proof that you have posted the item declared on the certificate into the Royal Mail network.
The Certificate of Posting needs to be date stamped and signed at a Post Office® window as having been accepted into the network. In the rare instance of your item being lost, you will have to present a stamped and signed Certificate of Posting with your claim for loss.Back to top
What if my package is too big for the pillar box?
Then please take it to one of our Post Office® branches.Back to top
Do I need to take my parcel to the Post Office®?
You can post all non-tracked items in Royal Mail pillar boxes or take them to the Post Office® unless you have requested additional compensation. If you have a tracked item (Special Delivery™ Next Day, Recorded Signed For™, International Recorded Signed For™) you must take the item to your local Post Office®. The Post Office® will also provide a signature for your Certificate of Posting document.Back to top
Search help for more answers...
How do I use a pre-pay account?
You can use your prepay account for both Online Postage and SmartStamp® purchases. Simply select the pre-pay option when paying for your postage. If your pre-pay balance is too low, you can top up your account during checkout. Alternatively you can see your pre-pay account, which includes your account history, via the My Account link in the toolbar at the top of the page throughout royalmail.com (when you are logged in).Back to top
How can I check my account history?
The quickest way to access your account history is by logging into the Online Postage homepage, selecting ‘My Online Postage’ then clicking the ‘Account History’ tab.Back to top
Why do I have to log in or register?
Logging in as a registered user helps keep your payment secure.
Once you’ve registered, future purchases will be faster because you won’t have to re-enter standard information. You can also access your order history and address book.Back to top
Is it the same price to buy postage online?
Online Postage is a free service; you simply pay the normal price for your postage.Back to top