An official Royal Mail Redirection can only be obtained online via royalmail.com/redirection. Royal Mail is aware of unauthorised and fraudulent websites which claim to offer the Royal Mail Redirection service. Such sites are in no way connected to Royal Mail and we are working with the police and other organisations to have these sites taken down.
Unfortunately we can only accept online applications for up to 8 people. For moves involving more than 8 people please apply at a Post Office® or via post using the form in the Apply and Buy section.
For your security, to apply online your payment card must be registered at your old or new address. If your card is registered at your new address you will need to answer some additional security questions. Alternatively, you can submit your application by post or via a Post Office® branch - download the form from the Apply and Buy section below, or pick one up in branch.
Redirection applications on behalf of the deceased or for people for whom you have Power of Attorney can not be submitted online. These applications must be made via post or in branch at the Post Office® with appropriate authority and documentation – please see the Special Circumstances Application Form.
Royal Mail’s Redirection service is only provided for mail which Royal Mail delivers to your door and not that delivered by other postal service providers.
- The names and dates of birth of everyone who needs their mail redirecting.
- The full address and postcode of your old and new addresses.
- To give at least 5 working days’ notice of the date you want your Redirection to start.
- A valid credit or debit card.
Note: For moves involving more than 8 people apply at the Post Office or via post using the form you can download from the Apply and Buy section.
Keeping your identity safe
Action Fraud recommends that to reduce the risk of identity fraud when you move, you use Royal Mail's Redirection service to redirect your mail from your old address to your new one for at least a year. Learn more about preventing identity theft.
Apply for a Redirection early
We need at least five working days to set up your Redirection. If possible, apply at least four weeks before you move.
Get your details right
Make sure you tell us the different last names you want covered by the Redirection. If you don’t, the mail addressed to those people won’t be redirected.
Be aware of timings
When your mail is redirected, it will be sent to the delivery office that serves your old address first. From there, it will be forwarded using our 1st Class Mail service to your new address or, using International Standard if you are moving to an address outside the UK. Please be aware this will add at least an extra day to the journey of your mail.
Renewing your Redirection
We’ll contact you before your Redirection expires. You can renew for 3, 6 or 12 months. For mail redirected from a PO Box®, the maximum period is six months.
Laws and restrictions prevent us from redirecting certain items to addresses both within and outside of the UK. Find out more about restrictions.
Redirection prices Length of Redirection Price per last name Within the UK* Up to 3 months £31.99 Up to 6 months £41.99 Up to 12 months £59.99 Overseas Address (International Standard Non-EU)** Up to 3 months £104.99 Up to 6 months £146.99 Up to 12 months £209.99 Overseas Address (International Standard EU)***
Up to 3 months
£125.99 Up to 6 months £176.39 Up to 12 months £251.99
*Prices are exempt from VAT
**Prices are zero rated for VAT
***Prices include VAT
The fastest way to apply is online. Start here.
Apply by post
You can also apply by post.
2. Collect proof of identity documents. Please include original documents that show the address you are moving from. We can’t accept photocopies and will return originals to you. If everyone applying shares the same last name we only need to see identification from the person sending the application. Send identification for each person with a different last name. You can choose from one of the following:
- two different utility bills from the last six months (not a mobile phone or store/ charge card statement, bills printed from the internet are not valid)
- a bank/building society statement from the last six months
- a credit card statement from the last six months.
3. How to pay - we only accept payment by cheque payable to Royal Mail Group Ltd. You must send a separate cheque in the name of each different last name.
4. Post your completed application form, proof of identity and cheque(s) for the Redirection service you require to:
Royal Mail Redirection Centre
PO Box 944
STOKE ON TRENT
For your security we will send an acknowledgement letter to your old address to confirm you have set up a Redirection.
At your Post Office®
You can also apply and buy at your nearest Post Office® by following a few easy steps:
1. Download, print, and complete the application form or pick up an application form at your local Post Office®.
2. Collect proof of identity documents. You’ll need two forms of proof of identity that show the address you’re moving from. These must be originals, photocopies are not accepted. If you are providing bills and statements as ID they must be dated within the last three months. If everyone applying shares the same last name, we only need ID in the name of the person applying at the Post Office® branch. If not, you’ll need two different forms of original identification - not photocopies - for each different last name on the form, one from List A and one from List B.
Proof of name
Proof of address
Please choose one of the following Please choose one of the following Debit or credit card Two different utility bills from the last 6 months (please do not bring mobile phone or a store/charge card statement. Bills printed from the Internet are not valid) Driving Licence - Photocard Recent bank, building society, or credit union statement or passbook (no older than 6 months) Passport Original mortgage statement Bank or building society book Original credit card statement EU member state identity card Birth certificate (under 16s only)
3. Take your application form, proof of identity documents and payment to your nearest Post Office®.
For your security, we will send an acknowledgement letter to your old address to confirm you have set up a redirection.
Renewing a Redirection?
If we have sent you a letter about renewing your Redirection, you can get started by registering or logging into your Royal Mail account below. You’ll need the renewal code and unique PIN code stated in the letter.