If you mail newsletters, journals or magazines, we have the expertise to help you manage your distribution. What’s more, if you can prepare your items according to our guidelines, you’ll enjoy considerable savings, and benefit from:
- free collection
- large deliveries: no circulation list too big for us to consider
- free returns for undeliverable items.
Marketing, general correspondence and publishing mail calculator
Get an instant, online quote for your marketing, general correspondence or publishing mailing.
If you have an account with us you can create ready-to-print PPIs online or download files to provide to your designer or printer
Publishing Mail is our specialist mailing service for publishers and distributors of magazines, journals and newsletters. Depending on the number of items you wish to send and the destination of your mail, you may be able to take advantage of our profile pricing discounts. And to save you time and money, we provide a free collection and returns service.
When you use Publishing Mail:
- we’ll verify your mail item as a newsletter, journal or periodical
- each posting should contain at least 1,000 large letters, parcels or A3 parcels
- we’ll collect your sorted items free of charge.
You can tailor Publishing Mail by selecting from the following options:
Format Dimensions Weight limit Large letter (High Sort) Up to 353mm x 250mm x 25mm (Excluding packaging) Up to 750g Large letter if machine-readable (Low Sort) Up to 345mm x 245mm x 10mm (including Packaging) Up to 750g Parcels (High Sort) More than 297mm x 420mm x 25mm and no larger than 460mm x 610mm Up to 2kg Tubular Parcels (High sort) Up to Length 900mm & length plus twice diameter 1040mm Up to 2kg A3 parcels Up to 297mm x 420mm x 25mm Up to 750g
Premium Same day possible (volume and access restrictions apply – see user guide) 1st Class Next working day 2nd Class 90% delivery aim within two working days after the day of posting
Volume 1,000 items Minimum number of items 3,000 items Profile discount may be available if 3,000 items are mailed direct to some city centres (Profile price only available with the standard High Sort Option and is not available in conjunction with VRD’s) 250,000 items For mailing over 250,000 items (250k rate card is only available with the 2nd class High Sort Option and there is a max weight of 750gms)
Preparing and presenting your mail
You have two options if you wish to sort your mail:
- Low Sort - only available for large letter size and addresses must be printed with a machine-readable font and not available with 250k, premium and profile rate cards.
- High Sort
Types of mail containers to use
Depending on the type of mail you send, you could use one of the following containers:
To take advantage of Publishing Mail, you need to have an account with Royal Mail.
Need to set up an account?
If you don’t already have one, you can contact our Business Centre on 08457 950 950*. Lines are open 8.00am to 6.00pm Monday to Friday.
To access Publishing Mail you will need to fill out the Publishing Mail application form. You can request this when you contact the Business Centre or alternatively you can request it from email@example.com.
Already have an account?
If you already have an account, contact a member of our business team on 08457 950 950*. They will tell you how to add Publishing Mail to your account. It will speed things up if you can have your Royal Mail account number to hand when you ring us. If you have an account, you can also apply online at firstname.lastname@example.org
Many of our customers have account managers.
If your business has a Royal Mail account manager, contact yours and ask about how Publishing Mail can work for you.
What happens next?
- We’ll send you an application form.
- Complete the form and return it to us, to the address on the application form. It must be accompanied by a sample of the publication you wish to mail.
- Once we have verified your publication (usually within five working days although new accounts may take longer) we will issue you with a periodical code that you can use to manage your orders through our Online Business Account service.
If you want to apply for a Profile Price, we will have to analyse your mailing line listing to ensure there are sufficient items going to qualifying postcode areas. You'll need to complete a second application form and forward this to us, along with your mailing list. To request an application form, go to email@example.com.
There are a few things we’ll want to see before you can start using Publishing Mail, principally to make sure that our criteria are fulfilled and that everything will run smoothly.
- We’ll look at a sample of your publication and let you know if it will work with Publishing Mail. (What we’re doing is verifying that it fits the category of a magazine, newsletter or journal. Catalogues, brochures, directories and exhibition guides are not accepted as Publishing Mail).
- Your publication must be published and issued via your Publishing mail product at least twice a year.
- At least one-sixth of the periodical should be editorial content. See product specification for full details.
- The title will be clearly visible on the front cover – as well as at least one of the following: the date of issue, the month, season or issue number.
- Each posting will be made up of at least 1,000 large letters, A3 packets or packets and to achieve Price Profile discounts, it is a minimum of 3,000. In certain circumstances, it’s possible to send out smaller numbers, but mailings of fewer than 1,000 items will be charged as 1,000 standard publishing mail items but there’ll be no further discount.
- Your mail-piece can contain more than one item, but it is subject to certain terms and conditions.
That’s it. If your publication qualifies, we will issue you with a periodical code that you can use to manage your orders through our Online Business Account service.
For full details, see the product specification and terms and conditions in our product documentation section.
Search help for more answers...
Who can use Publishing Mail?
Anyone who owns or publishes a periodical or is contracted to publish or distribute a periodical within the UK can use Publishing Mail.Back to top
Mailing houses can apply to have a publication registered in their name provided that a letter of authorisation from the publisher or owner of the publication is sent to the Publishing Mail team.
How quickly do you deliver?
We deliver Monday to Saturday and the speed at which your mail gets there depends on the option you choose:
- Premium: same day delivery may be possible (restrictions apply)
- 1st Class: next working day
- 2nd Class: delivery aim within two working days after the day of posting.
How do I sort my mailings?
Mailings are sorted according to the 1,525 direct or up to 88 residue selections that make up the Royal Mail Standard Selection Files database. This database can be downloaded free of charge. Further information can be found in the user guide.Back to top
Do you collect mail?
Yes, we collect mail for free. For more information, see Business Collections.Back to top
Could your business save money by posting in trays?
From 31st March 2014, we will price sorted mailings according to container type. Mail posted in trays will have a lower price than mail posted in bags or bundles.