Royal Mail guidance on weight and size restrictions when sending international items of mail.
Here are the minimum size and weight restrictions for all Royal Mail's international services. Need to post something heavier or larger? Use Parcelforce Worldwide
Items packed flat
Minimum size: 140 x 90mm
Maximum size: length, width or height less than 600mm
Length + width + height: less than 900mm
How long is 600mm? Roughly as long as two sheets of (A4) paper laid end to end.
Items rolled up
Minimum size: length + (diameter x2) must be more than 170mm (with the greatest single dimension more than 100mm)
Maximum size: length + (diameter x2) must be less than 1040mm (with the greatest single
dimension being less than 900mm)
The maximum weight for an individual item is 2kg, unless it is a book or pamphlet.
Books and pamphlets
You can send books and pamphlets (meaning any papers ‘bound’ together), up to 5kg. Items between 2 and 5kg in weight which contain books or pamphlets must be marked as ‘Printed Papers’ in the top left hand corner on the front of the packet. You should not include personal correspondence with these items.
Exceptions to the information above are:
• Ireland – only books can be above 2kg.
• Canada – no items can be above 2kg.
• Cambodia - no items can be above 2kg.
To find out how much your item will cost to send visit Price Finder.
Sending mail to addresses in the UK?
Find out more about size and weight formats for sending letters and parcels in the UK.
Welcome to our help centre
All the help and advice you could ever need.
- Help with custom requirements
- Find out about international sanctions
- How to send money and jewellery securely overseas
- Addressing your items - Western Europe
- Addressing your items - rest of the world
- I need advice about wrapping and packaging
- Tell me about size and weight restrictions
- What goods can I not send?
- Tell me about restricted goods
- Top tips for sending mail overseas
Find out more on size and weight restictionsRead the full article