Size and weight formats for UK mail
Prices for 1st Class & 2nd Class mail are the same no matter where you’re sending in the UK.
The amount you pay depends simply on the size and weight of the item you’re sending.
Don’t pay more than you need to
You might consider folding your A4 document in half to fit into a C5 envelope. This would bring it down to the letter format, as long as it is still less than 5mm thick.
|Format||Maximum weight||Maximum length||Maximum width||Maximum thickness|
Examples: Greetings cards, personal letters, postcards and bills
Examples: A4 documents, CDs and DVDs in their cases, certificates, some large greeting cards with badges and magazines
Examples: Gifts, clothes, books.
Buy boxes from our shop.
Examples: Gifts, shoes, heavy or bulky items
Rolled and cylinder shaped parcels
For rolled and cylinder shaped items, the length of the item plus twice the diameter must not exceed 104cm, with the greatest dimension being no more than 90cm. Rolled and cylinder shaped parcels that measure up to 45cm in length and 8cm in diameter and do not exceed 2kg can be sent as small parcels.
Parcels that do not exceed 16cm in length and 16cm in width and 16cm in depth can be sent as small parcels, provided the weight does not exceed 2kg. Visit our shop to buy boxes this size.
Parcels greater in size than 61cm x 46cm x 46cm or heavier than 20kg can be sent using Parcelforce services which include tracking and are guaranteed.
Sending items with any dimension larger than those listed above? Then you’ll need to send those items via Parcelforce Worldwide services where items can measure up to:
- 1.5m in length and 3m length and depth combined
- Weight limit: 30kg
- Large parcels can only be sent via Parcelforce.
Welcome to our help centre
All the help and advice you could ever need.
- How to address your mail correctly
- Do you have a guide to wrapping and packaging?
- Tell me about size and weight formats
- I need advice about wrapping and packaging
- I need advice about sending money & jewellery
- Tell me about restricted goods
- Tell me about prohibited goods
- I need advice sending mail to the Channel Islands and Isle of Man
- Top tips for sending mail
Each format has its own size, thickness and weight criteria.Read the full article