Size and weight formats for UK mail
The amount you pay depends simply on the size and weight of the item you’re sending. Use the table below to work out which format your item falls into. Please note the maximum weight limit for Special Delivery Guaranteed by 1pm™ items is 20kg. The maximum weight limit for Special Delivery Guaranteed by 9am items is 2kg.
Don’t pay more than you need to
You might consider folding your A4 document in half to fit into a C5 envelope. This would bring it down to the letter format, as long as it is still less than 5mm thick.
Which format is your item?
|Format||Examples||Max weight||Max length||Max width||Max depth|
Greetings cards, personal letters, postcards,
||A4 documents, certificates, magazines, CD or DVD in case, some large greeting cards with badges||750g||35.3cm||25cm||2.5cm|
winter puffa coat,
Gifts, shoes, heavy
For tube-shaped items, the length of the item plus twice the diameter must not exceed 104cm, with the greatest dimension being no more than 90cm.
Parcels greater in size than 61cm x 46cm x 46cm or heavier than 20kg can be sent using Parcelforce services which include tracking and are guaranteed.
Sending items with any dimension larger than those listed above? Then you’ll need to send those items via Parcelforce Worldwide services where items can measure up to:
- 1.5m in length and 3m length and depth combined
- Weight limit: 30kg
- Large parcels can only be sent via Parcelforce.
To find out how much your item will cost to send visit Price Finder.
Sending international mail?
Find out more about size and weight restrictions for sending letters and parcels to countries outside the UK.
Welcome to our help centre
All the help and advice you could ever need.
- How to address your mail correctly
- Do you have a guide to wrapping and packaging?
- Tell me about size and weight formats
- I need advice about wrapping and packaging
- How to package your fragile items
- How to package your memory card
- How to package your keys
- How to package a USB memory stick
- How to package a mobile phone
- I need advice about sending valuables, money & jewellery
- Tell me about restricted goods
- Tell me about prohibited goods
- I need advice sending mail to the Channel Islands and Isle of Man
- Top tips for sending mail
Each format has its own size, thickness and weight criteria.Read the full article