How to address your mail
Preparing your mail properly helps us to get it there quickly and safely. The following guidelines show you exactly how to address and format your UK and international mail.
Sending mail to the UK
Put the full details of the person you are sending the mail to on the bottom left corner of the front of the envelope or parcel, leaving a generous margin.
- Use a full and accurate address with a town and a postcode.
- No need to include a county name.
- Leave a generous margin around the address.
- Correct postage - stick on top right.
Fictional example of UK address:
Miss S Pollard
1 Chapel Hill
Line 1 – person's name
Line 2 – flat, building or house number and street name
Line 3 – name of the local area or village
Line 4 – TOWN (in capital letters)
Line 5 – POSTCODE (in capital letters)
Avoid using commas or full stops and do not centre or stagger your lines.
A return address is an address where we can send the mail back to, if there is any problem delivering it.
Write a return address on the back of the envelope, underneath the title 'return address'.
Sending mail to an international destination
If you are sending an item to an address outside the UK, the country name must come last and in CAPITAL letters. We would recommend you write your address on the back of all mail that you send so it can be returned to you if there’s a problem delivering it. Do not centre or stagger your lines. If you are sending by International Standard please use an AIR MAIL sticker. Ideally the destination address should contain:
Fictional example of international destination address
Av das A’Augsa Livres
There should be a generous margin around the address
Line 1 – the addressee's name
Line 2 – building number and street name
Line 3 – place name
Line 4 – name of province, state, department and postal code (if appropriate)
Line 5 – name of the country in block capitals
You will find further information to help you post at the following:
Welcome to our help centre
All the help and advice you could ever need.
- Do you have a guide to wrapping and packaging?
- How to address your mail correctly
- Tell me about size and weight formats
- I need advice about wrapping and packaging
- I need advice about sending valuables, money & jewellery
- Tell me about restricted goods
- Tell me about prohibited goods
- I need advice sending mail to the Channel Islands and Isle of Man
- Top tips for sending mail
How to address your mail correctly when sending items to addresses in the UK and other countries.Let us show you how