The Postcode Address File (PAF®) is a database that lists all known UK Postcodes and addresses. If you do not wish to program PAF then we can supply it to you in a pre-written application called UK Addresses.
Cut costs by reducing CRM input time and ensuring you get the address right first time, correcting database spelling mistakes and formatting errors can be very time consuming after the event.
PAF lets you sort your mail with a full list of correct Postcodes, helping to reduce your postage costs with our Workshare services - Business Mail®, Publishing Mail® and Cleanmail® . You can also reduce postage costs by improving or removing poor quality addresses to avoid any re-postings.
PAF® also helps you to reduce web abandonments by simplifying and quickening your web checkout process, correctly addressed postal mailings can also help to retain customers.
Update your PAF easily using complete monthly or quarterly editions. You can also choose to program individual changes files, these cost less but there is more work for you. Here is the complete list of combinations, some of these are available as internet downloads:
- One complete PAF edition and three quarterly changes files
- One complete PAF edition and 11 changes files
- One complete PAF edition plus daily downloadable changes files
- Four quarterly complete PAF editions
- Twelve monthly complete PAF editions
- Daily downloadable changes files*
- Four quarterly changes files*
- Twelve monthly changes files*
*Not available to first-time buyers.
Unique Delivery Point Reference Number
The Unique Delivery Point Reference Number, or UDPRN, applies to every Delivery Point on PAF®. It's a simple, unique 8-character reference number that can be used to identify a single address. This data is supplied free of charge to all Mainfile or Compressed Standard File customers who require it. There is no Ranges version available.
You'll find a chapter on UDPRN technical information in the Programmers' Guide below.
Flexible media and file formats
PAF is available on two different file formats; CD-ROM and Internet Download (Changes only).
- Main File: The PAF Main File is a relational raw data product (this means that it contains grouped or related address data, as well as Business Mail codes and Delivery Point Suffix data) It is the master database containing complete Postcode and address information for over 28 million UK addresses. Main File contains no software and the raw data within it must be processed for use within IT applications.
- Compressed Standard File: An expanded form of the Main File with approximately 28 million addresses in sequential order, as well as Delivery Point Suffix data
- Ranges File: A similar format to the Compressed Standard File, but takes up less space by ranging numbered properties on the same Postcode together in one record.
For more in-depth technical information on all raw data products download the Programmers' Guide in the Document Library. You can also view some simple screenshots showing the raw data in the "What does PAF Data look like PDF" below.
Try before you buy
You can test samples of this product, together with many other raw data datasets, on our interactive CD-Rom, use it to decide what is the right kind of data for you. The CD also holds a "Getting started" guide, our Raw Data Technical Manual, a handy guide to Addressing plus much, much more. Before sending us your completed order form, please check you understand the technical requirements.
Click to order the first steps CD.
If you wish to discuss our product range and choose the right media format for your business , please call us on 0845 606 6854 (option 2) from 8.30am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday. If you would prefer to email us then please send them to:
Download product information, from application forms to user guides.
All the documents are available to download in Adobe Acrobat PDF format. If you don't already have it you can download the free Acrobat Reader.
|User Guide||Last Updated|
Programmers' Guide to PAF® raw data products
User guide to the Postcode Address File (PAF)
Version 5.0 - 205 pages, File Size 1.51 mb
|General Information||Last Updated|
Getting started with Raw Data (Direct Customer)
Raw Data basics for Direct Customers of the AMU.
Version V1.0, File Size 355 kb
Getting started with Raw Data (Resellers)
Raw Data basics for AMU Solutions Providers.
Version V1.0, File Size 353 kb
PAF Data Screenshots (v1)
PDF showing PAF Data in its raw form.
Version July 2010, File Size 210 kb